Monday, March 4, 2013

Last two weeks (most recent is first) A Stormy Night in Luanda/ Angola, Luanda Baby!


March 4, 2013
Subject: it was a stormy night in Luanda

day 59... (idk what it really is)
no energy (imagine typing sounds)
no water
water pump still broken
its been almost a month...
barely..living.. tell my... ah. tell my mom... I.... love her... ah. ah. ahhhhhhh. 

Hahaha what’s up y’all? I’m  not quite dead but conditions are dificult! Wow, so much has happened at home I don’t know where to begin and I might even forget some stuff! But congrats Aunt Tiffany! Geez that’s weird.. I feel like Tyler probably did with Lizajayne. Darin congrats to you! Bro you write THE best letters! Like we should be writers together! Oh my gosh I’m  dying laughing here in the cyber cafe when I read them! Dude so awesome! Marissa! Oh my goodness! Not gonna lie it’s kinda cool... I always wanted to wear one of those casts and just have girls do favors for me... LUCKY! Haha ya gotta look on the bright side of life! (sing that sentence please) 

Tingey fam, my heart goes out to y’all for papa. so sad. but! That lucky dog gets to finally learn so many of the mysteries of life! I’m a little jealous. I just want to go to heaven sometimes and start learning more! Like seriously I have soo many questions to ask people up there! And could someone get me Paige’s mission address? Poor girl just had the biggest shock of her life out there. We have been emailing but I need to write her a letter cause our emails are just too short. We need a good twin talk. 

So fun to hear about your trip Mom and Dad! Dad way to score the paddle board! 

Alright! Y’all ready to hear about my week! It’s a little... interesting! hahaahahahaha

So last Monday we started burger night. Oh my gosh best idea ever!! We made burgers and fries and oh man the were delish! American food baby! But that night after we made burgers this huge storm came out of no where! It was soo fast! Like all the sudden the wind started shaking the windows and then I went over to the window and bam! The power to the whole city that I can see just goes poof! It was soo cool to watch! And then the windows got all foggy. Haha Elder Wilson was in his room and he didn’t know what happened and he started screaming "theres evil spirits!" So funny. So we’re like let’s go watch the storm from the penthouse! So we go up there and into a room and we open the windows and just are taking in the sight and the storm and then a gust of wind slams the door shut! And Elder Wilson just starts screaming NOOOOOO!! no!!! and we’re like what? And he’s like it’s locked from the other side! Great. We are locked inside the penthouse! So we start messing with it. We get the handle off finally of the door but it’s still locked. Anyway it’s hard to explain but we couldn’t get the door open over all. So Elder Walker just opens a window and Elder McCune and I are watching and this is our thought process: Elder Walker is looking out the window. He’s climbing on the window.. ha he’s doing it as a joke....OH MY GOSH ELDER WALKER JUST WENT OUT THE WINDOW! We are 5 stories up and Elder Walker goes out the window and is free climbing slash scaling our building! So he finds a window that’s open that’s the room next to us. Goes in but that door is locked too! So ultimately were still locked in. We’ve been in here for like an hour! Finally Elder Walker is somehow able to get that door off its hindges and comes and open our door! Hahahahaaha oh my gosh my companion! He’s nuts! Hahahahaha such a good story! 

Oh but what else has happened.. well Angolans are lame! Freak. They have no sense of time or commitement. Okay that’s a lie but its true for most. Our electrician hasn’t come all week to fix our pump after more than 100 calls to him and he says he’s "coming right now" every time . BS. So I’m  a little frustrated at Angolans this week. I wouldn’t mind punching one. Like seriously if someone tried to mug me ooooo I want it to happen because I would just go ape on them.l Oh and btw again, Elder Banta (with me in the mtc) and Elder Kelsey got mugged this week. Apparently, it’s pretty bad; knives and stuff. Cool huh? Alright, nobody panic, I’m the biggest guy here I could take any Angolan. But they’re still out for 2 more days and it happened like on Thursday or something. Oh I want something like that to happen to me! I just want an awesome story like that! I’m wishing death upon myself I know but I just want that story! Anyway..

Our branch is the new one and they are so legit. Our Branch Pres. is President Sabstiao and he is so sick. BIG black dude with the sickest voice. Large and in charge that’s what I like! But he is the biggest teddy bear, so humble and just awesome! And he always is lookin so good in his super nice suits, watch, rings etc. like so fly. Haha love him. And he helps us so much its awesome! Our PEC meetings are sick. He’s like alright let’s do this and its so efficiant and we get out of there so fast! Love it! And he finally met Rita on Sunday! She is so close. Dad the reason she hasn’t been baptised yet is because she hasn’t commited to it. She has done EVERYTHING else but that. But she knows it’s true and she is so close. It’s just a matter of weeks. We had the most amazing lesson with her the other day. It was the last thing we had to talk about which was perseverance (man I can’t spell) and we were expecting it to be just 15 min. But the spirit had other plans. It was AMAZING! Like the spirit was so strong. And she just told us about her husband leaving her and the family and going to live with another woman and how that just tears a family apart and how a father is soo necissary for the family. And she was just in tears about how the Lord has given her strength and blessed her. (gloria Deus) and wow it was amazing. She was telling us how she knew the church was true and all this stuff about how Elder Walker and I were just such a blessing to her and she talked about when she first saw us on the street. Like guys it was so sick. Like Elder Walker and I were getting the same promptings and we were just going with them and things were just happenin! Such a baller lesson. Man, when I gave the closing prayer, I could barely hold back the tears. My voice was shaking and all that jazz. Ah I just love that family soo much. They’re going to be baptized it’s just a matter of time. Ah I love them! And man, I’m going to be the best husband and father. Like it’s just too much to see so many broken families out here. The father is soooooooo important! 

Ah I love that family! Lucas is the best. I just want to steal him and take him with me everywhere! 

So we we’re in a nice part of town ( like it feels like America, but all the houses are bright colors so you feel like you’re in a Dr. Seuss land) and we knocked on this door and these white guys answered and started speaking English! And we were just so taken back! And we’re like “are you American?” And they’re like “no were Israelis.” WHOA! Soo cool! And we told them how were missionaries of the church and we gave them a pamphlet cause they were just super nice and cool. Looked totally like Americans. but they’re like... “you know we don’t believe in Jesus Christ right?” Ha, we’re like “trust us, we know. We basically study your people everyday. (Yeah and we have a book that is for the convincing of the Jew haha jk) but they were super nice and cool. what else..

Oh, I had a dream last night that I got a bunch of letters and packages...... so let’s make it come true peeps! Speaking of sleeping. It’s soo freaking hot. Man without AC. I die. I don’t sleep. we seriously just sit there stripped down to our G’s just lying there sweating profusely! Saturday night was the worst cause we had already started our fasts... so dehydrated. 

But today I went ape on our apartment and it’s spotless. I swept and mopped like a mad man and Elder Walker did the dishes. It’s so hard to keep the dishes clean without the pump. I’m kinda becoming a clean freak.

Anyway, this week has just been difficult. I’ve had a hard time with doing the Lords will. I’m just so selfish! me me me me me. I’m cookie monster. GIVE ME COOKIE NOW! But I’m happiest when I do the Lord’s will. It’s hard, but so worth it. The mission doesn’t necessarily change people. It gives people choices and opportunities to submit yourself to the Lord completely. These choices happen hourly and depending on how you choose, that’s what changes you. It’s the choices that the mission provides that change people. 

Well, I love you guys! I might be able to send some pictures later. We’re going to presidents today. We don’t have enough water to do the wash by hand this time. Everyone keep going! Perseverar ate o fim! Endure to the end! I love you all! The Lord loves you! Be good members! Work with the missionaries! Go to lessons with them! It’s your duty! I can’t wait to come home and just be an awesome member. Set good examples! Remember you can be on the right track but you’ll get run over if you just sit there! Okay, love you, love you, love you! 
Com muito amor africano
Elder Tingey

ps. Mom my area is Funtungo (or benfica c) Elder Walker was in Cassquel for a year (crazy!)




FEB 25, 2013

ANGOLA, LUANDA BABY!!

YO YO YO whats up!!!
Such a good week. Especially after last week! So I’m all better just FYI! 

Oh and I know you all know, but we are becoming a mission!!! Woooo! I’m soooooo excited! So excited! And, I love how on the announcement we were first! haaha Just cause were the first in the alphabet. But still! I’m sooo stoked! ah I just cant say enough about that! So wow... okay first to answer some questions…..

Mom. I’ve got an oven, a stove, a microwave, and a fridge. The microwave is iffy. Usually the power isn’t good enough to run the microwave, but the stove is my trusty friend cause we don’t need electricity for that! And yeah we have big stores here, just like a regular grocery store. Although the things they have there vary week to week. So we shop there but for little stuff… we get that at cantinas, which are little stores everywhere in Angola. Literally, you can’t walk a block without seeing at least one. So yeah.. and no, we don’t have pots or pans... I usually just hold whatever I’m cooking in my hands and hold it over the stove.. seems to work alright...... except my hands kinda hurt after. They’re turning black too.. haha jk, yeah,we have pots and pans, and yes, we are allowed to eat the food investigators and members give us. But honestly, you just gotta use good judgement. I’m good at fake eating. not gonna lie, I practiced a little bit at home. Haha but I swear when I get home I’m eating EVERYTHING! Last night Elder Walker and I had a serious food trunkout. haha It was funny. Seriously, any fast food.. or any American food. I’ll take it! 

Dad, finding people t


ANGOLA, LUANDA BABY!!

YO YO YO whats up!!!
Such a good week. Especially after last week! So I’m all better just FYI! 

Oh and I know you all know, but we are becoming a mission!!! Woooo! I’m soooooo excited! So excited! And, I love how on the announcement we were first! haaha Just cause were the first in the alphabet. But still! I’m sooo stoked! ah I just cant say enough about that! So wow... okay first to answer some questions…..

Mom. I’ve got an oven, a stove, a microwave, and a fridge. The microwave is iffy. Usually the power isn’t good enough to run the microwave, but the stove is my trusty friend cause we don’t need electricity for that! And yeah we have big stores here, just like a regular grocery store. Although the things they have there vary week to week. So we shop there but for little stuff… we get that at cantinas, which are little stores everywhere in Angola. Literally, you can’t walk a block without seeing at least one. So yeah.. and no, we don’t have pots or pans... I usually just hold whatever I’m cooking in my hands and hold it over the stove.. seems to work alright...... except my hands kinda hurt after. They’re turning black too.. haha jk, yeah,we have pots and pans, and yes, we are allowed to eat the food investigators and members give us. But honestly, you just gotta use good judgement. I’m good at fake eating. not gonna lie, I practiced a little bit at home. Haha but I swear when I get home I’m eating EVERYTHING! Last night Elder Walker and I had a serious food trunkout. haha It was funny. Seriously, any fast food.. or any American food. I’ll take it! 

Dad, finding people to teach here is not a problem. Honestly, anyone will give us there phone number. It’s just us trying to pick which ones are the elect and are ready to receive it. 

I got two letters this week! One from grandma and grandpa for Vday, Thank you! and the other from Brookie! I was so excited! haha I was like, geez finally! And the sticky notes that were in there are up in my room! And I cannot believe MR. Hansen got married!!!!! chei! Like my mind is blown. I KNEW he had a girlfriend! I knew it! Someone send me a picture! and Brooke, that’s awesome that your planning on serving a mission! haha it’s honestly really nice that everyone’s going on a mission because I know  that I’m not missing out on too much! haha

So we’ve been without a water pump for two weeks now... the electrical stuff is fried. Angolans are so slow to do anything.. ugh. But whateves.. ,,every morning for exercise I haul buckets of water up stairs and fill up our big (like trash can size bucket) bucket. So fun!
Angola is developing soooo fast. It will look totally different by the time I leave. haha Oh, so there are a ton of motorcylces here. Like a ton because you don”t need a license to drive one. Anyway... I want to ride one sooo bad! Yesterday, we were down deep in Futungo by the beach and wow its just a party down there!  But there were soo many motorcycles! They were just doing wheelies back and forth, back and forth, and I just remembered the thrill of riding my motorcycle! ahhh Shifting and then popping that clutch and feeling the power of the beast flow through your veins! ahhh Ahat a rush. I miss it! haha. When I get home. Motorcyle trip! And I don’t care what anyone says! (ahem MB.. haha). Yeah, Angola is quite the party place. Our neighbors party hard dude. Like, all the time. It’s nuts. So, just fyi the apartments here are crazy expensive. The one we live in is 1400 dollars a month and president’s is 5,000 US dollars. Yeah crazy!! 

So mom and dad, I need you to fix something. My debit card isn’t working here. Fix it. Hahaha, but, for real, fix it fast, please. If you don’t want me to lose weight! 
Alright. Let’s get to some good stuff. 

So Friday, we had divisions, or splits, as they call them in the states, and Elder Walker went to another area and Elder Hannay came to my area for the day and night. Elder Hannay has only been out one more transfer than me. Let’s just say our Portuguese is about the same. So we were in my area and I lined up a solid day for us, like, it was awesome. So we go and wow! Guys, the gift of tongues is real. I kid you not it is. It happened to me. Every lesson we taught, the words just came. Everything fit together and I could understand everything the investigators said and asked. Like, guys, it’s real!! It was such a solid day too, like, all our investigators were just solid! Felix is just so awesome, like the blackest gangster ever! So hard to understand but I understood him! he is just so smart and wants to be good and keep the commandments and he’s already inviting others to church like man he is so fiz! cool I mean. And then Rita and Telma. Sooooo solid. They are going to be such strong members when they’re baptized. Telma is going to seminary, Rita never misses church, like, ah, it’s awesome! Rita has a kid named Lucas. Oh. My. Gosh. I’m going to steal him and bring him back with me! I love this kid to death. Like, I love love love him! He is so animated and talks all the time with me! haha The other day he’s like, you guys always talk to my mom! I want you to come one day and just talk with me! haha He’s 5 and the cutest African ever!!! I got some sweet pics with him and I was going to send them today but this internet cafe is lame... dang it. But Lucas is soo awesome. haha I told him I was going to bring him a present ( my etch a sketch)  and I forgot it like 3 times and he was just getting so frustrated with me and he’s like you always forget! Next time you cant forget!! and just so animated waving his finger at me and yelling all these other things in Portuguese hahaha sooo funny! He has the biggest smile. I seriously love this kid. Every time we go over there he sees me and gets this huge smile and he runs and I hold out my hand for a hand shake and he’s just like, screw the handshake! and jumps on me to give me a hug! hahaha I love that kid. That whole family is awesome. I love ‘em! 

But seriously, everyone be grateful that you live in the United States with good families. It’s just so sad to see people’s situations here. Like these kids whose parents are just retards and drinking and brake the law of chastity probably 3 times a day and they live in crap. and they have mud huts. These kids just have tough lives. And it’s not their fault. But they do it. They’re studs. Such ballers! I love ‘em. I’m so grateful for all that I have and what I’m blessed with; and for my parents. Thank you for all you’ve done for me. Seriously. 

Mom, thanks for the pic. You’re so pretty. I was looking at my calendar this morning and I was just like, dang! my mom is beautiful! You’re awesome! Dad, love the CIA letter hahaha. Elder Walker thinks your in the CIA or CTU ( you know where Jack Bouer works). Well, family I love you sooo stinking much! Remember you gotta stand for something or you’ll fall for anything! 
Angolan love,
Elder Tingey


No comments:

Post a Comment